Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Oh So Close

Hello! Since I last blogged about how to survive an injury (when I was smack dab in the middle of it), I've gone from a crutching, booted-up injured runner to a bootless, WALKING runner. Progress! And now, here I sit, 10 weeks past surgery and two weeks from the official, okay-to-give-it-a-go-with-running turning point in my recovery. Eeeee!

I'll recap where I'm at, where I've been and what I'm looking toward. I'm excited but I'd like to think I'm also realistic. Ten weeks is a long time away from running alone, and you lose fitness. Throw in the fact that I have hardware in my foot now, which -- by the way -- got extremely weak when it was in the boot, and I know my first return to running will be short, sweet, cautious and uncomfortable. But I've been doing what I can to set myself up for success, including physical therapy twice a week plus strength exercises at home to transform my foot from flopping around like a dead fish when I walk, to actually providing support and stability to my body to propel me forward.

I've mainly stuck to the bike for cross training but added more elliptical in the past few weeks as my foot got stronger. And yes, I'm very sore from it and it's humbling, but oh-so-good. I also got a Groupon for a month of unlimited yoga at Core Power Yoga here in the cities and have been hitting up yoga sculpt classes a couple times a week to address all those weaknesses I tend to ignore when I'm in the thick of training (bad, I know). I've remained active and have actually really enjoyed it. I know running will still be hard and feel foreign once I return, but I'll embrace the natural pain of getting back into it and know I'm not injured anymore!

Soon I'll hopefully be able to talk about how a run felt, as opposed to how I imagine it will feel. And that is so, so exciting.

No comments: