Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The "Gift" of Surgery

Congratulations, you get to have surgery!

Okay, so maybe that sounds weird, but when I received the news last week, my happiness may have seemed a little...odd.

To recap, I have had a pain in my foot for a couple years now. My midfoot joint has stuck out like a bony protrusion for as long as it can remember, but in 2011 I remember it really starting to bug me. Some days I couldn't fit it into certain shoes. It usually calmed down, though. However, in the past year, I've had a nonstop pain when running, but it was dismissed as arthritis, and something I thought I'd just have to deal with...until recently, when everything went downhill rather quickly and it became obvious there would be no simple "just dealing with it."

I was finally able to get in to Dr. Coetzee, a great orthopedics guy who operated on my foot in 2007 when I ruptured my posterior tibial tendon in the same foot (my poor left foot). He brought up xrays I had had done over the past several years, and his diagnosis was immediate. "Have you ever heard of a Linsfranc sprain?" he said. I couldn't even understand what he said -- so the answer was a definite no. What I thought was simple arthritis turns out to be a damaged, unstable joint. He showed me the differences in the xrays, pointing out the abnormal spaces in the bones of the joint and saying how it "looked really bad" just between 2011 and 2012 alone. He also propped my foot up and "wiggled" the joint, saying normal joints don't do that. I was both disgusted and relieved to know this isn't a normal pain.

Next steps: Either I ignore it--though it will eventually catch up with me, Dr. Coetzee assured me--or we do the surgery, during which as I understand it he'll basically stabilize the joint, fusing it so it stops moving and stays in place like most people's joints do. Recovery will include six weeks in a boot followed by rehab that he assures me will be easier than what I went through when I had my tendon surgery.

I basically yelled, "sign me up!!!" when he gave me the surgery option, and now I know where I'll be at 7 a.m. on Feb. 26. I cannot wait to get this fixed and to get out of this odd limbo I've been in for so long now, where my foot hurt and kept me from training as much as I'd like and as intensely as I'd like. And recently, it's affected just walking alone, so it's time.

How did this happen? I have no idea. In typical me fashion, I seem to have an injury for which I don't know the source...but man, does it hurt. From what I understand, these types of injuries are common among football and soccer players and can happen with one big blow (my doctor cited Broncos player Eric Decker as the most famous example of someone who had the injury...and he also apparently performed his surgery, which took place when he was a Gopher). I don't remember any big blows or twisting of my foot. It just gradually got worse and worse...and I ran through it, managing it fairly well until today. One big issue, I think, is that I didn't know what it was, and had to book my appointment with this doctor eight months in advance. I viewed it as simple arthritis, took steps to manage it and tried to remain active. Of course this didn't help things, but rest wouldn't have helped either. Looking back at the x-rays, it's been damaged for quite some time, and even led to other injuries, including a metatarsal stress fracture in 2012 (he confirmed the connection).

I've had a couple people ask when I'll be able to run again. I honestly have no idea and didn't ask. I did ask if I'll be able to run normally and resume normal training at some point, and he said yes. I'm not putting a timeframe around it just yet, because I've had this for so long that I now view this surgery as the starting point of hopefully the rest of my running life! I know it sounds dramatic, but this has really worn on me. I threw all my goals out the window and just hoped I'd be able to keep running--and hopefully pain free at some point. I'm hopeful I'll be able to now, and it's SUCH relief.

I'm committed to doing my rehab RIGHT and giving this the time it needs to heal. Post-surgery will suck for a while, and I know that. I've been through foot surgery before that kept me out of running for half a year. The immediate pain following surgery will make me question what the hell I've gotten myself into. I think this is the right option, though...I mean, I went for an easy run tonight, which all my runs are these days, and I was very aware I was dragging my leg due to not being able to push off my foot. And you can only run so fast on one working leg, too -- I learned the hard way when I tried to pick it up on Sunday and basically tripped over my dead side, rolling my ankle in the process. I'm thankful I can get out and do these easy, short runs within reason--but I'll be glad to get this done. It's time.

I'm going to try and be a better blogger through my recovery, because I think it will hopefully be rewarding to look back on, and hopefully it will help keep me on track and keep me motivated. I think I'll even track my cross-training, which I will need to get creative with during the first several weeks when I can't put pressure on my foot. Hand bike, anyone?

This injury has been a true test of will and patience--two things I'll need during my recovery. I think I'm up for it. What have I got to lose?

No comments: