Saturday, March 1, 2014

Commence Recovery!

I'm going to make this brief because the cocktail pain pills I'm currently on have turned me into a spacey, no-attention-span and slightly nauseous blob, and I don't trust myself to write too much at the moment. But I wanted to document the "highlight" of the past week: Foot surgery! I checked in on Wednesday morning at 6:00 a.m., went under at 8:30 a.m. (complete with a "take a couple deep breaths"....and that's all I remember) and was home by 11 a.m.! Yep, it was that quick, and from all accounts, it went well. I now have a plate and screws between my first and second metatarsals, back at the midfoot joint where they intersect, which will hopefully heal into a rock-solid, stabilized joint that will be able to withstand all the activity I want in the future.

At the moment, I'm in a cast and crutching around. I haven't left the house since I got home, but that's all right -- I can only stand to have my foot in a non-elevated position for about 10 minutes max before it starts throbbing and the cast begins to feel too tight due to swelling. This will eventually subside, and for now I'm just trying to live in the moment and not worry about too much besides letting it HEAL. It dawned on me this morning that I was injured before, and I'm not "injured" anymore...I'm fixed, and now my body is finally healing!

I have my first post-opp appointment on March 11, when I'll get my cast off and my stitches removed. My surgeon told me on Wednesday I can then start biking (hello, spin classes!), and he thinks I'll be ready to start running 12 weeks post-surgery. So, basically like the recovery time required for a stress fracture. I can do this!

I'm going to try my hardest to document my recovery so I can maybe learn a thing or two from it. It probably won't be very exciting--especially during these first few days/weeks (seriously, the pain pills I'm on are the most "interesting" part). But it will be nice to look back on it in six months or a year when I'm hopefully super healthy and this is all a distant memory.

No comments: