Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Reality Bites (Ouch!)

First off, I hate that I have no running updates for this running blog. As I mentioned before, I'm hoping documenting my recovery from joint fusion surgery in my foot -- which I did to hopefully return to pain-free living and activities, including running -- will help keep me motivated and provide a good way to track my progress and hopefully not make too many mistakes. I've also never been good about cross training and know I better get used to it if I want to maintain any fitness during this layoff, so a blog should be an interesting way to see how things unfold. Anyway...

My big return to working from the office today instead of from home wasn't as magical as I thought, simply because it HURT. As I mentioned in the update at the bottom of my last post, my cast came off this morning and I went straight to work. Like a fool, I had this idea that the cast was the closing of a significant chapter and things would get easier. Unfortunately, they haven't. And me not being smart about this meant I brought a giant purse to work. Pro tip: Don't carry a big purse while on crutches. If it doesn't get tangled with your body and the crutch and cause you to feel like you're about to trip any moment, it will fall down to your elbow...and cause you to feel like you're about to trip any moment. Let's just say that I ditched the purse in my office drawer when I left at the end of the day and just put my wallet and phone in my laptop backpack.

I guess the bigger issue with today was I went with my natural tendency to PUSH PUSH PUSH and jumped back into a normal day. That included not having my foot elevated for the majority of the day (I finally broke down due to the pain at the end of the day and put my feet up on my desk while I read through some materials I had to review). I've had my foot elevated for the majority of the day for the past 12 days, so this was a bonehead move. I also tried doing a little walking on my heel without my crutches (going to the printer, going to the water cooler), which was a little too ambitious. The result: I left work a little early because I was in the most pain I've been in since I had surgery. The days immediately following surgery, when I had a giant foot with big swollen sausage toes, weren't even this bad! I had this idea this morning when I left for work that I'd even stop by the gym on my way home to do a little stationary biking. Nope. I came straight home, put my foot up and removed the air cast and my sock. My foot is more swollen than it was when I came out of my hard cast this morning, and I've got more bruising than I remember (including purple toes).

I clearly overdid it this morning and today was a huge reality check. This isn't going to be quick and easy. Of course it's not. I intellectually know that but my natural inclinations go against it and I don't make the best decisions when it comes to these things. I can't wait to return to running but I can't jeopardize my recovery by rushing it like I did. I'm going to have to re-evaluate my approach and take it even easier than I thought...

Any surgery recovery tips or experiences out there to make me feel better? Any recommendations for getting good cross training in when you're severely limited in what you can do?

2 comments:

aunt sgt said...

Oh dear Tracy, you are such a joy and write with such humor. Even though I cannot remember when I last ran and have since become a blob, I do remember the mental push I gave myself, and although it was slow, the 14 mile trot on roads I may never find again here in the southeast side of town.
But one thing I do know from past experience and talking to friends, that doctors give us medicine for pain to not only ease the pain but to make us sleepy and force us to rest. And as soon as we feel better, we push ourselves too far. When I had a cast removed after a broken foot and saw the dr for follow up, soon as I told him how it felt I found myself back in a cast. He forced me to slow down & take it easy since I couldn't do it on my own. I love you Tracy, my oldest nephew's wife. Reel yourself back in so you can be ready for a great summer.

Tracy said...

Oh, thanks so much for such a nice (and true and wise) comment!!! Yeah, I need to work on being able to easily tap into that sense of relaxation I so enjoyed when I was on those pain pills. :) You are totally right. And not a blob (shush!). Love you too!