Monday, March 10, 2014

Surgery Recovery Week 2: Coming Out Of The Haze

I'm finishing up week two of surgery recovery (Wednesday will be two weeks since the day) and am happy to say I've left the house twice during that time--once on Saturday and then this evening to go to the gym for the first time since the surgery (more on that later). Yes, I stayed inside for 10 straight days. Now, before you go thinking this is disgusting, let me describe the scenario: I was on a steady diet of percocet every 4-6 hours for several days and oxycontin every 12 hours. I'd say it wasn't until Sunday after my surgery I could eat at the table and stay awake more than an hour at a time. Drugs and surgery recovery are no joke!

Monday a week ago I "went back" to work, which meant I crutched over to the dining room table around 7:30 or 8:00 a.m., logged on to the network, IM and email, turned on my phone, propped up my big ol' casted foot and leg on a chair next to me and got to work until 5 or 6 p.m. It was tough in the first few days to keep up with my expected levels of productivity while fighting through the tremendous fog--I'm not going to lie! One day I was especially crabby and tired of the situation and ventured out to the back stoop of the house for the first time in a week. I sat there for five minutes, breathed in the fresh air and felt rejuvenated, but also like I had just slept through an entire week while the world moved on.

By Friday, as the pain pills were dwindling and the hours between dosages got longer, I not-so-coincidentally felt like I had my clarity back and actually could get into a work groove. And, I started to have that feeling of "AHHH, I just want to MOVE and get outside and be active." I consider that a good thing and totally normal that I made it that long before feeling that way. People had asked earlier how I was doing and how long before I could cross train or whatever, and honestly, the first several days post surgery I was so nauseous and drowsy, changing my clothes was enough "cardio." My surgeon had said two weeks after surgery, when I get my cast removed (which is tomorrow), I could start riding a stationary bike. Hooray.

But really, I've been looking at this as a two week break. As runners, we can be very disciplined and regimented--guilty as charged. So much so, in fact, that we often  don't consider a run a true workout or effort without hitting a certain number of miles. A long run might not be anything less than 90 minutes, for example, or a run might not be worthy of a mention unless it's at least five miles. At times in my life, I've been there. And I do think you have to be disciplined and regimented when going after specific goals. But this time has been good for me to just let go. Not let go in the sense that I completely fall off the wagon nutrition-wise, but honestly, a couple weeks of rest is okay -- especially after surgery. And it's been pretty nice!

This evening, though, I made my triumphant (okay, not quite) return to the gym. Because I'm still on crutches and going to the gym in the afternoon means having to park in the far corners of the lot and hike in, my husband was kind enough to take me there and drop me off at the door (nice!). He then went for a run and said he'd be back in about an hour. Knowing this, I had to figure out what in the world to do with myself. I can't exactly bike with this foot-to-top-of-my-calf cast on, nor can I do anything standing, obviously. My option: the devil exercise machine, the arm bike. Since it took some time for me to crutch in, go to the locker room and take the elevator up to the workout floor, I figured Derek would be back now in less than hour. So I sat and just pedaled with my arms. And pedaled. And holy hell, is that thing hard. Three minutes in I was searching for an exit and in my panic formed a plan: alternate directions every five minutes and hand positions after every set (forward and back). And, alternate hard and steady efforts every minute. I'll tell you this: It was boring as all get out.

One hour later (actually 15 seconds before I hit the hour mark), Derek strolled up and I was done! It was very convenient timing and I ended up on that thing much longer than I would have expected. I realized the downfall of this when I stood up to crutch away -- my arms! -- but all in all, it felt good to move and sweat a little. (Okay, that's not the first time I've sweat -- there have been mornings when I've felt the beads of sweat forming on the back of my neck as I crutched around trying to get ready for the day after Derek has left for the work...but whatever.)

Tomorrow, I have my first post-op check up and I am OH SO EXCITED at the prospect of hopefully getting my cast off. I believe I get to have my stitches removed, and in order to do that the cast has to come off, so let's hope it stays off! I've had an itch I've wanted to scratch for almost two weeks now...

UPDATE AS OF 3-10-14: Had my appointment and saw my foot for the first time since surgery. Not going to lie -- my vanity got the best of me and I was a little grossed out by not only my ugly, scarred up foot, but also HOW MUCH MY CALF SHRUNK. Ugh. Got the cast and stitches removed and graduated to a removable air cast, so...progress! But, I still have to use crutches because I'm only supposed to put weight on my heel (trust me, my foot has already told me when I'm not and it isn't happy when that happens). This made for a somewhat challenging walk into work...I had a backpack and a too-big purse and by the time I got to my desk, my foot was throbbing and I had broken a sweat. But, I know it will get better. I go back in four weeks when they'll take x-rays and I can hopefully graduate from the aircast and start bearing more weight. The PA said the surgery involved a bone graft and fusion so those bones still have a lot of healing to do.

No comments: